1st of September 2016….I start my new job today!!
So I thought it would be really good to think about and lay out some resolutions. One of the preachers that I give a lot of ear-time to is John Piper, partly because I find myself so stretched by his sermons in my walk with God (not just intellectually!) and also because I see in his ministry such amazing points of grace. (e.g His willingness to release his books for free on pdf, just communicates a heart for building people up). Anyway, one of his talks has been so helpful for me, especially in terms of “working out” my faith.
He talks about the connection between our resolves (our good intentions, aspirations, goals, targets) which we set ourselves and God’s glory. Because of this talk, and also probably because of the wiring of my personality, I am a BIG BIG fan of resolutions. I am learning a lot recently about how we live out these resolutions (not in our own strength but God’s, motivated by the Graces we have received from God, following and imitating Christ).
My first resolution is that I want to Walk with God (Gen 5.24)
- Praying – talking to God, making space to literraly walk with God, round the block or a park, to share my heart with Him and to hear His heart.
- Devotional life – continue with BRT, but also being flexible as to where God is leading me in this.
- Journaling – one of my favorite ways to record what God has done, and how I am relating to Him.
- Seeing God’s hand in the everyday – I see this working out through taking time to reflect each evening (or at least as many as I can), to ask where was God in today, what is He teaching me.
- Church – to recognize God has put me within communities of believers and wishes to grow and use me within this context. I want to play an active role in my Church community.
My Second resolution is that I want to make the most of every opportunity (Eph 5.16)
- To bless/serve – flowing out of my recent studies of Abraham and his commission to bless other people
- To learn – I have an amazing opportunity to grow in my understanding of God through the theological training I will receive, but I also want to work this out through reading as much as I can, listening to sermons.
- To trust – as of today I am at 50% of what I need to raise financially, and whilst this will get me through at least to beginning of November I also recognize I have a great tendency to worry about these things. I need to pray that I will see this as an opportunity to turn to and rest in Him rather than finances.
- To proclaim – Particularly to the lost, I want to practice how I approach strangers to share the good news, as well as friends. I want to see God’s power working through me as I proclaim, something I feel I have not taken much advantage of before. I want to practice proclaiming through writing, preaching and ordinary conversations.
- To love unconditionally – not showing favoritism to people who are attractive, cleverer, popular, more similar to me, but showing God’s love as freely as He has shown it to me.
My third is that I want to use this opportunity to build really healthy habits into my life:
- Relationally – be willing to meet new people and practicing hospitality
- Physically – exercising regularly, eating well, healthy sleeping patterns
- Honoring God in my work by turning to Him for regular resting, and doing everything as unto Him.
God I admit my absolute inability to live out this resolutions without Your Power, please enable me. May my life, and my work, reflect more and more of Your glory through these resolutions. I also surrender these to You and ask You to have your way and take any away that do not fit Your plan for me. Amen