So I’ve managed to cheat and get four points this week by posting yesterday 😀 I’m reading through the New Testament now and have got past the Gospels and Acts, so most of the books are considerably shorter. That means BRT posts will be more frequent for a while – at least that’s the plan – if life gets too hectic I’ll combine books together.
- 4.21″…for [Abraham] was fully convinced that what God had promised He could also accomplish”. I love the phrase ‘fully convinced’! When it comes to the promises of God, I want to be fully convinced! There are some promises that I do feel fully convinced about for example that I’m seen by God as Righteous. But here are some promises I want more faith for:
- Promise of giving God my first fruits. There’s a famous promise in Malachi 3:10 about God responding to tithes with the floodgates wide open. But also I heard someone preaching this week about Romans 11:16 “If the part of the dough offered as firstfruits is holy, then the whole batch is holy; if the root is holy, so are the branches”. Even though Romans 11 is talking about Jews and Gentiles, I think the principle stands for tithing. I am captured by the idea that because I tithe the rest of my income is set apart for God and made holy.
- Promise in Matthew 6:23 “Seek first His Kingdom and His Righteousness and all these things will be given to you as well”. Again this seems related to money, but also my heart. Do I pursue His Righteousness and His Kingdom, do I seek it before all other things. And then do I trust that He considers me of more worth that flowers and birds – and therefore will provide!
- Again another early on in Romans 5.2-5…I like this because it seems really formulaic and that sits well with my math-wired-mind. Here are the verses in my own words: “Boast about the Hope of experiencing His Glory. Boast in our troubles and hardships. Why? Because troubles produces Endurance, which produces Character, which produces Hope!” And it all comes full circle! (I tried to emphasise to make clear what I like. This seemed like a really grounding verse for me, when I don’t know what’s going on. In my trouble boast about the hope I have, and having this attitude in troubles produces two/three traits I want more in my life… Patience/endurance, Character, and hope…I feel I just keep repeating myself.
- 13.14! On a training days recently with the Navs we looked at a similar verse in Galatians, “Instead, clothe yourselves with the Lord Yeshua the Messiah; and don’t wast your time thinking about how to provide for the sinful desires of your old nature.“. At the training days the leader got us to write on a piece of fabric all the attributes of Jesus (e.g He’s righteous, holy, kind, gentle….etc) and then we were told to don the fabric! And clothe ourselves with Him. (However because of the Galatians reading and the now-and-not-yet concept – we were already clothed with these things). In this verse I really like how it speaks to our daily attitude, lets not waste time thinking about sin and pleasing our old nature instead lets put on Christ!
Romans, I think, is my favourite book in the Bible (you’ll have to see if I say the same when I read the letters to Timothy 😉 ) anyway, I found there was a lot in there that stood out and it was really hard to only pick three/four!