Genesis 1:14-19 details the creation of the sun, stars and other various lights in the ‘expanse’. God is the maker of the Sun! In a world of science and explanation, it is easy to forget, to be unmoved. Instead of ignoring and overlooking it, may we respond in praise today.
Psalm 19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
May I hear the worship and glory that the Sun declares of God. May I see it as the result of His mighty hand.
May I follow it’s example:
1) Praising God day after day (Psalm 19:2). In season or out of season (2 Timothy 4:2 and Mark 11:13-14). CONSISTENCY
2) Praising God in the hidden place (Psalm 19:3). When no one is watching (Matthew 6:6 and David with his sheep) INTEGRITY
3) Praising God to the ends of the earth (Psalm 19:4). Mission exists because worship doesn’t (Matthew 28:19-20). In all I do, may I praise God (Colossians 3:17 and 1 Corinthians 10:31). EXTENSIVELY
4) Praising God with joy (Psalm 19:5). Remembering to rejoice always and in whatever circumstances to be content (Philippians 4:4 and 4:12). JOYFULLY.
Praising God with Joy in any and all circumstances is also connected to our desire to worship God consistently. For we must be prepared to bring God a sacrifice of praise, it is no good only offering to God when it does not cost us anything (2 Samuel 24:24).
5) Praising God for the sake of blessing others (Psalm 19:6). This is not the only reason to praise God, but another very good reason. As Abraham’s descendants we are to be a blessing to the nations. (Genesis 12:1-3 and Galatians 3:29). However, whilst to some our praise will be an aroma of life, to others it will be that of death (2 Corinthians 2:16 and 2 Samuel 6:20-22). MISSIONALLY
Robert Mulholland defines Spiritual Formation as ‘the process of being formed into the image of Christ – for the sake of others’. May our worship also be a blessing to them as well.
Finally, the fact that the sun praises God, it’s maker, reminds us that if we did not praise God the rocks would cry out. For creation is loyal to worshipping it’s Creator. May we do so too.